NCRRU - Blyth's Hawk-Eagle (Day 36-42)

I manage to get some time to see this nest again. I was glad to arrive at the time I should be, but upon arrival I notice the adult behaviour were very different. I realise the female which was perching nearby were rather stress up, uncomfortable, and in tremendous lack of trust. Immediately I realise that the bird should have gone through some tremendous experience. I soon realise the reason, and a reason of need not said. Though I know this nest would survive I deeply sadden of what happen to this individual. Their stress and lack of trust gone as far as both parent were very reluctant to return to their perch or nest. Eaglet were left in the nest and occasionally the adult would swoop pass and call out to the eaglet. Compare to all my earlier visit, adult were very confident and trust of my presence allowing me to stood confidently. In fact the female never show sign against my presence. Today the call showing uncomfort was noted well. This call was not something unusual, I remember observing my first nest almost 12 year ago. Our crew which at that time lack of expereince dealing with Blyth's Hawk Eagle cause some disturbance but soon we built trust between the eagle and our team. The bird soon stood as close as 30 meter away preening and allowing us have great documentation.
Blyth's Hawk-Eagle
(Photo by Terence & Eileen)
Anyway, while I was there, the juvenile put up some show for me. Exercising her wing but lazily waiting for mum to come back. Detail of upperwing including buff edge making a line on the upperwing were typical to both Blyth's and Wallace's Hawk Eagle. Lack of darker crescent of ear usually seen in Wallace's by this age. Tail were not fully grown but some part of it is well seen.
Blyth's Hawk Eagle
(Photo by Terence & Eileen)
The bird continue to move will the parent called where it soon stood lower down on the nest without making much movement later on. Parent return flying pass twice and both time called loudly but reluctant to enter the nest. In one occasion the bird move near the nest but changes its mind last minit.
Blyth's Hawk-Eagle
(Photo by Terence & Eileen)
Blyth's Hawk-Eagle
(Photo by Terence & Eileen)
Adult which was seen earlier. Front and back but was very uncomfortable. Lack of trust was clear in this individual. Still the commitment was to high to just leave like this. She stood a while before flying off.
Blyth's Hawk-Eagle
(Photo by Terence & Eileen.)
In all this nest should be a success to brood up one eaglet. In typical Blyth's Hawk Eagle have more then one nest. In some circumstances, the eagle would change its nest. Sometimes rotating the nest site but in some situation the older nest would be abandoned. Hopefully there is a continuity.

Comments

Popular Post

Popular Post